16 July 2009

Some Observations and Such

Since the last post not a whole lot has happened, except for a lot of hang out time with friends. About a day after the day that ended the last post, we got on a train to return to the other side of the island. We stayed in Jhongli for a day and hung out with some of our friends there and then made it back to Changhua, where we’ll be staying for most of the remainder of our time here.

The first night in Changhua we hung out with some friends—new and from our time on Penghu—at the church, eventually watching “17 Again.” The next morning I called my parents for a little chat and to wish my Mom a happy birthday. That night we went to a nearby town called Taichung and ate at a very American restaurant: burgers, pasta, salad, pizza, and even (my choice) Mexican. Yes, I ate Mexican food in Taiwan. Some sort of veggie burrito, to be more specific. The restaurant itself was quite interesting as well. Since it was mostly “American” and therefore foreign, it was a lot like some of the foreign-themed restaurants and shops in the US. Pepperidge Farm cookies were on display like finely-crafted Swiss chocolates might be in the US. Similarly, in the US I like to buy these cute little chocolate-filled “Pucca” cookies with panda pictures on them at World Market—more than an hour’s drive away. But here, I can get them in any Family Mart or 7-11—often less than a five-minute’s walk away. This restaurant, though, had grocery store fare such as Goldfish crackers and Swiss Miss on display at the front for purchase –and I don’t think they were cheap. (I was told, however, that the Swiss Miss can be bought in larger quantities and much more cheaply at Costco. Amidst the many differences, there are so many similarities….)

Since I didn’t really have much to write (and what is written is not exactly edge-of-your-seat exciting), I thought I might also include some interesting observations about Taiwan that I have noticed since being here:
  • I’m going to start this list like a good day: with milk tea. It’s a little like a chai latte, but you don’t have to wonder if Starbucks will use too much spice. A versatile drink, it can be had warm or cold. I personally like it best warm, but on a humidity-fueled hot Taiwan day (and anytime, as well), the cold proves deliciously refreshing.
  • All of the cold to-go drinks, such as milk tea, that I have encountered (from a tea stand, a coffee shop, etc.) also have a nifty little plastic cover on top. This cover also has a cute cartoon on it, like a horoscope picture or a person from another country. Just stab your straw in and drink away.
  • The garbage trucks play songs. Only two that I know of, but I wonder if anyone has tried to get them to play something else (I’m thinking Celine Dion or the Backstreet Boys).
  • Speaking of Celine Dion, I keep hearing “My Heart Will Go On.” Several time so far. I think people like it.
  • The mango. Amazing doesn’t begin to cover it. So vibrantly yellow and juicy, it doesn’t matter how full you are, you are not too full for mango. What’s that “food of the gods” stuff that you talked about in middle school lit classes? Ambrosia? Whatever, this is better.
  • Since I know I don’t speak the language and I know I am a bit of an oddity here (or on a good day, a novelty) at least as far as appearance is concerned, I feel like anyone who lays eyes on me assumes (well, I assume they assume, but you know what they say about assuming*) that I don’t speak Chinese. Of course, let’s not forget the fact that 99% of the time, this assumption is spot on. On the rare occasion that I might actually know a luckily appropriate sentence, however, I hold back. On the whole, this is due to general reticence and a desire not to confirm their assumptions by quietly uttering the sentence I am so excited to know in poorly-toned Chinese. Sigh. I want so much to surprise them, but I can’t…at least, not yet.
  • Having been to several camps and currently preparing for another, it seems that everything has some kind of performance—typically a drama or a dance—attached to it. On Penghu, the opening introductions of various groups were done via song and dance and several dramas also started things off. We also taught the kids no less than three dances. For space, I won’t elaborate for the other camps and organized activities, but let it suffice that they do make life that much more fun (they also take me, if even temporarily, that much closer to making my life a musical…).
*I don’t know, some American phrase about a donkey….

1 comment:

  1. pucca = koala munchies = 4-year-old Kori happiness :)

    trust me, people always like it when you attempt to speak their language, even if you have to follow sentence #1 with a disclaimer.

    have a safe trip back!

    ReplyDelete