25 July 2009

Wrapping It Up

A paragraph on the last few days of and returning home from Taiwan:

As I mentioned before, we did a little more sightseeing to round out the trip. First, we went to Sun Moon Lake. Taiwan doesn’t have too many lakes, and this is the island’s largest, so not only is it a very pretty place to spend the day, it’s also special in that way, too. We took a boat around and visited several sights (including one that sold a woman’s very famous tea eggs). We also visited a church that Chiang Kai-Shek built so that his mother could attend when she was there. There was also a couple taking their wedding photos there, which will definitely turn out nice.
 Then we went to a wine distillery/museum and a place to buy tea. When we got back, we went bowling for a bit and, after winning the first game with an impressive-for-me 99, I went back to go to bed because by that night I was a bit feverish. Thankfully, that was also the night I started sleeping really well (the night before, pollution-induced coughs woke me up about every two hours) so the next day I was quite well-rested to visit the city of Lukang (sp?), where I was able to make some souvenir-y purchases. When we came back, we watched “Duplicity,” which was a lot better than I expected, and called it a night. The next day, we had a hot-pot lunch with our friends in Changhua, said some good-byes, and went up to Jhongli for the evening. There we met some friends from Taipei and ate dinner with them and then visited more of our friends from Jhongli after they finished practicing for a wedding. The next morning was an early one and, after meeting up with yet more friends at the airport (as well as eating a Burger King fries and OJ breakfast…yuck) and taking pictures, we were on our way back to the US. All of the flights went well except that I was running out of medicine so I felt bad for the people sitting next to me and had to deal with my hacking. After re-checking our luggage in Chicago, however, I did have a nagging feeling that I should not check what was once my carry-on. I did anyway and, of course, once in Chicago, realized that the nagging feeling was on to something: my luggage didn’t arrive. Cool. So we just left (after talking to the baggage people, of course).
(At the time of writing, my luggage had, in fact, arrived.)

No comments:

Post a Comment