27 January 2010

Necessities and My 1st Class at the Fac

Converstation between my host mother and me today; my vague memory translated roughy to English:

Host Mother:  What time will you leave the house tomorrow morning?
Me:  I have a class at the university at 8:30 so probably between 7:30 and 7:45.
HM:  Ok, because there will be construction going on nearby and they're going to cut the water lines at about 8 or so, so we won't be able to use the water.
Me:  But there will be coffee, right?
HM:  Yes, because that will be before 8.
Me: (Smile of relief) That's good.  I'll need it.

Since I don't have a lot of time tonight (I have to get up early, as you now know), I'll comment on  two things:

1.  Coffee:  It's practically espresso here (Shannafair and I talked about this last night) and I can actually drink it sans sugar/milk.  (If this were the nineties, I'd insert a boo-ya right here.)  Unfortunately, they don't have coffeehouses all that much here (I know, right?) so I can't grab anything on the way (which means, horrors, I actually have to sit down and eat breakfast!).  As far as I know, Nantes is Starbucks-free, something even the Forbidden City in China can't say.  While this has its positives and its negatives, one negative is that when I'm sickly (such as now) and want something hot to drink (or just something to keep me at my necessary level of caffeination), it's not as easy to get ahold of.

2.  University Classes:  So I have my first two classes at the university (the "Fac" as they say) tomorrow.  They are Morphology and Syntax; and a no-credit social dance class.  Now this would probably be less intimidating if:

  • I weren't already a week or, in the case of social dance, a semester behind the French students.
  • The French students/professors didn't speak real French that is way harder to understand than the slowed-down slangless French of our professors at IES that I don't even understand 40% of the time anyways.
  • I didn't have a cold that causes me to be super fatigued, groggy, and on-the-whole not "with it."
  • The day didn't start prior to the buttcrack of dawn.
Oh well, I'll survive (assuming, of course, I wake up on time...).

2 comments:

  1. Gretchen, I'm glad to hear you are doing well and liking black expresso...it's good. :) I'll be praying for your strength, keep persevering.

    ReplyDelete
  2. i didn't realize you were taking classes with actually frenchies....exciting! let me know how it goes :-)

    ReplyDelete